Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Strikes Have Consequences

Last week, as a response to the new administration's immigration and refugee ban, there was a nationwide call for immigrants to strike for one day.  Some companies told their workers that if they did not come to work on that day, they would be fired.  Those companies made good on their warning, and many workers have found themselves without a job.

Today I saw a Facebook post that seemed to indicate the workers got what they deserved, saying that strikes have consequences.

Yes, strikes have consequences - for which I'm very grateful.

Without strikes, I would not have the right to vote. Without strikes, I would not have the right to hold property in my own name or make decisions about my property.  Without strikes, I would not be able to have a paying job outside the home much less one that brings in a salary somewhat comparable to a man's for the same job. Without strikes, I would not have the right to any say over my own body within my marriage.

Without strikes, African-Americans and other non-whites would still legally be treated as second-class citizens.

Without strikes, most workers would never be paid enough to be able to retire. There would never have been a sizable middle class, only the few wealthy and the many poor. Without strikes, safe working conditions would not exist and many more people would be injured or killed on the job.

Without strikes, many issues would never see the light of day.

Yes, strikes have consequences.

Not striking has consequences, too.

Silence in the face of injustice allows injustice to continue. Silence allows the worst of human behavior to continue. Silence allows what this country stands for to be corrupted.

As long as those striking are peaceful and respectful, they bringing attention to issues that need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment